Monday, May 21, 2012

Being a Tourist in NZ

I had the privilege of being a tourist in my own country this weekend past. Destination Taupo was the venue for a Fothergill family reunion, which I will address in a future post.
I love visiting places -  in my own country and beyond - with time to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. I find it a real advantage that now I have photography as a serious interest, that I always look at places with the intent of seeing them at their best. Whilst I was without my own transport this weekend, I was fortunate that my brothers' paths, and thus my own, took me to visit places I would ordinarily drive past if simply heading from A to B.
The first photo here was taken at the Taupo markets in the morning. Certainly plenty of autumn colours on show, and a great setting by the boats.
It was a long time since I had visited Huka Falls (second pic), and I had never been to the Craters of the Earth (pic number 3). The latter was interesting, though not a patch on the geothermal wonders at Waiotapu, further north.
In Taupo an obvious attraction is the magnificent lake and saying in an absolute waterfront house helped with capturing the dawn sunrise yesterday morning. I had to wait and will the clouds to move to get my shot of the weekend. This I did for at least 20 mins in my PJs and a jacket, lest I missed that perfect moment. Brrr, there was frost on the roof next door!
 The sunset the previous evening was evidence that waiting is indeed what one needs to do to get the shot. We had to leave for our family function before the glow of the sunset had permeated the sky, so this rather harshly lit photo is the best I could do.


No comments:

Post a Comment