Friday, March 23, 2012

But am I hungry for more?

Well March's book is done and dusted - the current 'it' book for teens (though many adults I know have enjoyed it.) - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
To be honest I wasn't entirely taken with the idea of reading a book written for young people, where the plot was primarily concerned with a group of teenagers killing one another in a game. I still struggle with that concept. However it was a new idea and was no doubt designed not just for entertainment, but to evoke a reflection on society and human nature; authority, freedom, sacrifice, fashion...
It was an easy read - I liked how the story was predominately told in present tense, which did create some tension.
While I would happily read the next two books in the series, because it was teen fiction, it didn't really have the plot complexity to keep me guessing, and I found the mini climaxes along the way didn't really surprise or hold me (except maybe the tracker jackers) as they were resolved too quickly. Jury is still out on whether or not I will make the effort to see the movie. But I am sure many, many fans will.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the books. (I read a lot of teen fiction) Lived in their world for a while. Took me a week to shake it off! Will see movie but think it's unlikely to live up to expectations. Recent reviews confirm this. Shame. X

    ReplyDelete