I smiled as I drove past each street sign, the names of each bringing some sort of recognition and frequently, vivid recollections.
First a jaunt down to 6 Coates St. The photo is not much - I did not get our of the car. The 1983 version is much better, and the garden was much tidier back then too...
My memories of this place include...
- Gatecrashing my brother's stag party. He lived at number 7. I'll bet he was impressed - not. He did move out shortly afterwards. (He got married...)
- An 'interesting' housewarming present, which disappeared that same night - someone must have needed it more than we did
- Sharing a bedroom with Johanne
- The bright red kitchen. BRIGHT. RED.
- The house being sold when we had only been in it a couple of months, a muck up with the notice, and us all going to live with the real-estate agent's mother for 3 weeks lol
I then rounded the corner to 41 Cook St, where I had lived for 3 years. And ... egads, it was no longer there! Instead, it had morphed into a ruddy great apartment block!
|Once was 41 Cook St|
But I will always remember....
- Frequent calls to the police for prowlers. Easy pickings - the curtains had been cut down in my bedroom!
- My 19th? 20th? birthday party... live band... stolen amp... going to court (as a witness!)
- Watching the Young Ones
- Artwork from teaching sections over all the walls
- Re-enacting the opening scene from Flashdance in the rain
- Having the residents from my workplace next door (red roof far left in the photo) - a rest home for alzheimers patients - over for cups of tea
- Parties like this one - Lords and Ladies...
Next stop - the first home away from home I ever had... the T Coll Halls of Residence... but will save that one for tomorrow!