Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Aptly Situated

I was invited to attend a lecture at Auckland Uni  - from where my phone pic was taken - tonight; the inaugural lecture by Professor Judy Parr. It was an opportunity that I had to act upon, as the lecture title -Writing and the Challenge for Writing Pedagogy - seemed to call me from where I am currently placed in terms of my work life.
It was fantastic before the lecture, to be able to catch up with a couple of people I had met before in literacy education circles, as well as meeting some new, over a glass of wine and some pretty OK hors d'oeuvres.
The lecture itself had me totally engaged for the whole hour because... I got it. I would not have 'gotten it' 6 months ago. It was as if all the learning I have done over the past 20 years, and especially the last 3, came together in that lecture room. After having a few nervous doubts about my path for 2012, this has given me confidence and empowerment I need to move forward when I begin my thesis.
Not that I am in any way close to a research topic or anything!
So why 'aptly situated?' Just a play on writing as a 'socially situated act', (writing theories blah blah) and me feeling like I was in the right place at the right time...

No comments:

Post a Comment